This drawing of bark is the inspiration for my final sample in this section. (Drawn from my photograph which was also used to produce the drawing for the final sample in the next post)
I worked on some samples to chose the right fabric and techniques.
Having decided which elements worked, I started with an A4 sized piece of calico. Whilst selecting fabric, I was struggling to capture the texture of the background, and a sample in Gwen Hedley’s book, Drawn to Stitch inspired me to use some painted newsprint.
I am very pleased with the outcome but learned a lot in the process which was very time consuming and sometimes frustrating. Unfortunately I didn’t photograph the stages which would have made it easier to illustrate my point.
It became rather a complex project – it would have been wise to select a small portion of the drawing with a viewfinder. (That too would have shown development of drawing!)
Part way through, I felt the piece wasn’t really showing much relation to the inspiration. It took me sometime to work out why. Referring back to my preferred samples (bottom two in left hand drawing above), I realised the overall effect of the longways strips which echoed the qualities of the bark was lost. In the applique, I was using two or three pieces of different fabric for each ‘stripe’ whereas the same fabric or one piece would have been better.
To recapture the stripe effect, I added linen scrim over some fabrics, more thin strips of hessian and couched some twisted muslin. Once appliqued, I added stitch to achieve the desired effect.