Nina's Textile Trail

My OCA Textile Tales

Part 4 – Textile Structures – Project 9 Woven structures

Leave a comment

Ref: Assignment 4 – A3 Workbook page 16

In preparation for this section, being new to weaving, I attended a local Introduction to Weaving Workshop at Jo Alwyn’s Studio and Gallery in Farnham, Surrey.  It was a two hour class which included a small loom 28cm x 39cm with a weaving width of 23cm and a heddle bar to take home.

It was a very relaxing and enjoyable evening where we were encouraged to be experimental and just see how the piece evolved.  An eclectic selection of  yarns was available to choose from.  I wove the right hand third in the class and finished it off at home.

DSC_5922

I chose a worsted wool for the warp. I liked the texture and allowing it to be seen with the weft.  I started with a pale blue cotton, attracted firstly to the colour (right hand end).  I liked the look of a looser weaver but once the piece was cut from the loom, I quickly discovered that if not beaten down, the cotton moved and the effect was lost.

Other materials from the left included t-shirt yarn, which was a a bit thick and chunky, linen and cotton boucle, orange rug wool, natural raffia, red and blue rug wool, orange merino wool broken tops, acrylic wool, sisal string, tapestry yarn, beige nettle yarn, orange tapestry wool and linen yarn.

I also learned that natural daylight or a daylight bulb is useful as I thought the red rug yarn was orange when working in artificial light.

Cutting the piece off the loom was also a learning experience.  I started with the left hand end and recklessly cut all the ends and tied them  in knots right over left, left over right, making it very difficult to stop the t-shirt yarn to unweave and causing a chaotic, untidy effect.  I carefully unhooked the right hand ends one or two at a time and carefully slid the knots back towards the last weft with a needle, creating a neater flatter look which was easier to control.

I can see it is important to regularly check the tension to prevent ‘waisting’.

Overall I was pleased with this first attempt and looked forward to experimenting further.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s